Thursday, July 3, 2008




This is the strippy baskets and stars top. I'm still looking for the Fons & Porter magazine issues from which I got this pattern. It was a three part series - I don't know how I could misplace it so fast!





The centre of Folk Art Finery by the Rabbit Factory, the border has an appliqued swag - these are the colours I'll be doing the border - (the website is www.rabbitfactory.com but the site is being changed, so the patterns aren't available to view right now).







And a close up of one the blocks. As mentioned in an earlier post, this was my first attempt at Beth Ferrier's method of freezer paper invisible machine applique. Although, you can see my applique is not at all invisible!! I did the first block using monofilament thread, but I felt with the black background it needed something more, so I wound up using black thread and buttonhole stitch. I sure hope that the finished edges will hold up in the wash.




Yesterday I was working on many many fusible applique blocks for another quilt top. More about this tomorrow when I hopefully will have these sewn down.





Threading a needle


A friend called last night - someone who doesn't sew often - and she was so upset that she had spent three times as long threading her machine needle as doing the little job she had set out to do. Here are some tricks for needle threading that many of us might know, but some might not -
- place a white scrap of paper behind the needle - makes the hole much easier to see
- freshly cut the end of the thread after every attempt at threading the needle
- this sounds icky, but works, lick your finger, then wet the needle with your finger
- get your kids or grandkids to do the job for you!

No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.