Tuesday, July 8, 2008

More applique!

I'm still waiting for the machine I use for quilting to come back from service - its a Viking Sapphire 870 - so my quilting is on hold. I've been using one of the longer arm sewing machines for a few years now, and I find it so much easier to machine quilt with that extra couple of inches in the harp. I just can't imagine using my regular size machine for a larger quilt.


So in the meantime, I'm piecing tops. They're all slowly coming out of their boxes, drawers and bags. The strippy basekts and Folk Art Finery last week, and this week its Sally Post. This is yet another applique quilt! I'm actually much more of a quilt piecer than a quilt appliquer (by machine) - but one thing led to another and I have/had three on the go. The Folk Art Finery was mean to be hand applique, but I read about Beth Ferrier's technique and though that would be good project to give it a try. Then Sally Post, I decided to try fusible/raw edge with a fine blanket stitch. The third is yet another go at Beth Ferrier's invisible machine applique, only this time it really is invisible - not a heavy blanket stitch as the Folk Art Finery was.


The Sally Post floral sampler is a pattern based on a quilt owned by Gayle at Sentimental Stitches. She translated the blocks to patterns, and began offering one a month. There are thirty six blocks - so it was going to take a while! Then she had an Applique in May event where she offered a block a day, until all blocks were available. Unfortunately, her site http://sentimentalstitches.net/ went down yesterday and those who read her blog every day don't know yet what has happened.

I kept up until about block fifteen, each day doing the fusing and sewing. And then I got behind, and behind. This past weekend I finished fusing all the blocks, and have been slowly sewing them. The last couple of days, I've sewn the blocks into their setting squares, with the sashings on the right and bottom of each. I've done I think 20 of these, here's a picture of 9 -



To
To hopefully solve my hand applique dilemma, I've subscribed to Jan Patek's 2008-2009 Girl Gang block of the month at Homestead Hearth - it looks like a fun top, a design that I wouldn't come up with on my own, and it seems that the only way to get Jan's current patterns is through a block of the month. I don't want to later see pictures of this top on the 'net and wish I had had done it!


I still have those hexagons I'm working on, and I should be starting to tie the quilt for the Markham Fair (but right now its way too hot to consider basting a quilt). I sure have enough to keep me occupied, but like many quilters there's never enough, and always time for one more project or to play with a good idea.


No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.