Friday, July 4, 2008

Planning applique

Well here we go again - more frustration and hair pulling over planning fabrics for applique. I don't know why I can plan a pieced quilt with out too much angst - I can see a group of fabrics together, and when I see a pattern I'll pretty much just know that that group will look terrific sewn into that pattern. Or might have one star fabric, and design my own pattern. Or customize a pattern to suit my fabrics.

I don't have a quilt shop nearby that I can visit - in fact, the closest one which is about a 30 minute drive, I just don't feel comfortable and at home when there. There are some terrific quilt and fabric shops in the city, but they are too difficult to get there, shop, and return home due to this illness I have. So - I order pretty much all my fabric on line. I'm pretty good at knowing what I need for the pieced quilts and going from there.

But my stash just doesn't seem big enough for the applique I want to do - and anything I've ordered with applique in mind just doesn't seem to suit (the proof is the applique I did this late winter and spring - half dozen or more blocks I've made in different colour combos and different patterns, all resulting in my disappointment). I feel that if I had $200 to go made in a fabric store, I just might end up with what my mind keeps envisioning - but I don't and I won't so I have to make some kind of decision.

I have made a few successful applique projects - the Piece O Cake applique sampler, and Lori Smith's Simple Pleasures were needleturn, and my newest finished top, Folk Art Finery, was machine applique. These were made with a pretty limited colour pallete, working from a set of fabrics that were meant to go together. What I really want and I think this is my problem, is a print or dark (not black) background - I've done the needleturn quilts on muslin, and in my mind "I've been there done that" to want to do it again.




Sitting on my back porch this morning, in the lovely warm but not humid day we're having, I was so enjoying appliqueing yet another block. But I wasn't really enjoying it as I know I'm going to pass on these results as well. Am I destined to join a block of the month? Or buy a kit? I hate to give up making my own creation, but perhaps I'm strongest when designing or planning pieced projects, and I should let someone else do the work on the applique quilt so I can just enjoy the sewing!






No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.