Thursday, July 10, 2008

Orphan Blocks & EQ6

I dug out some log cabin blocks that I had started months ago - I remember at the time that I wasn't at all sure that the pattern for which these were made was going to be the actual top that would result. I love the look of log cabins, but I've never actually made one yet.

I got a dozen blocks completed, then started to play on EQ6 and my design board. This is what I've come up with so far - I'm going to let it sit on the design board for a few days.




EQ6 is one of my favourite, almost must-have tools for quilting. I can take a pattern and change the colours and the size and immediately see the results. I can put blocks on the design board, transfer the idea to EQ and play some more. Quilt University (www.quiltuniversity.com) offers great courses for EQ6 - Fran Gonzales is the instructor and she gives a huge amount of detailed info and great support so you never feel lost. I took the Drawing class this past spring, and finally learned some tricks that take me beyond trying to draw everything with a nine patch grid, lol. In August (bad timing for me, but I am so looking forward to this new class) Fran is instructing a new program at Quilt University on EQ layouts - I'm sure I"ll love this one and get some fresh ideas and new techniques and shortcuts.


Week one almost done

Scott has been terrific about attending his summer school - I think he's enjoying it but won't admit it. He does make a point of saying it was boring, but later a few happier comments escape. Meanwhile Wendy is acting like the monster of the morning. She has to be up at 6:15 and out the door at 7:00 for her volunteer work at a summer camp - there is nothing I can do right according to her - any suggestions for her breakfast and lunch are snarled at; tears and whining that she can't find a hat or sunglasses that are right where they were left the night before. I sure hope this act doesn't carry over to next week. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying some nice days cleaning up some projects while I await for the quilting to begin when my sewing machine comes home.


No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.