Friday, June 20, 2008

Folk Art Finery...and school's out for the summer - almost!


Here are the applique blocks for Folk Art Finery, a pattern by Lydia of the Rabbit Factory. This was the first time I've used Beth Ferrier's method of freezer paper templates and glue stick for "invisible machine applique". However, I decided to use a blanket stitch around each piece as I felt it fit the style and fabrics I was using, and I'd tell anyone to not use the blanket stitch when doing the freezer paper machine applique method. It is very hard to remove the freezer paper! The blanket stitch just does not make enough perforations to remove the paper easily - it does require a bit of scary tugging and pulling. Eek. But they've pressed out nicely and I'm now working on the foundation pieced sashings - next will come the scalloped border - which makes me think of all the options open to us for applique - fusible, freezer paper, cut away or upside down, hand applique....hmmm, decisions decisions.

My youngest son is about to graduate from elementary school - Grade 8 - and this marks a huge landmark for me. All three of my kids have attended this school, meaning that I've been a parent at Crosby Heights since 1995!!! This is amazing for me, who moved frequently as a child, teenager and young adult. I finally settled down with my family, in 1995, and have stayed in one place all these years. I still get itchy feet, still look at the real estate ads, but finally I truly feel at home. My husband and I often talked about moving as soon as the kids were able to get out on their own - a two storey home really doesn't suit someone like me with my physical abilities - and we really should be in a bungalow - but even now I'm starting to think about installing an elevator instead of moving. This really is a laugh, as our little house is just over 1000 square feet, a two storey semi with finished basement, that is a little older than me.


Here's a picture of when my kids in 2001 - I think - my oh my, they're all taller than me now, but that grin on younger son's face is still there, especially when he's telling some ridiculous story based loosely on a truth; my daughter's smile doesn't appear quite so often for me right now, and her ears are much decorated with hoop and stud earrings; and oldest son is living with his girlfriend - my likely soon to be daughter in law.

Day one of teenage daughter's summer holidays - so we'll see how we get along today - hopefully we'll start out positive to mark the beginning of a great summer to come.

No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.