Friday, March 20, 2009

Quilter’s Block

I am fortunate to have two sewing machines – one a longer arm Saphhire 870 that I use mostly to quilt, and another Husqvarana that I use for piecing and machine applique.  My sewing room is small, so my second machine is kept in the dining room.  This works  out really well, as I don’t have to disturb a quilt in progress in order to do some other sewing or piecing….this also works out not so well when I need motivation to finish a quilt!

I think the Tiger Lily quilt has been sitting with the centre quilted, for about two weeks, under the needle and set up to quilt the borders.  But I was stuck, I just didn’t know what to do about those borders.  So I was able to ignore it, except for a guilty glance or an exasperated sigh aimed at the quilt when I was working in the room at the cutting board or worktable.  All along I knew I wanted it hung for the first day of Spring, and all of sudden here it is.

 tiger lily quilted no binding Today was not the day to get started again, I have a bad shoulder and a major headache, but I plunged ahead and I think it turned out fine – in fact, it took less than a couple of hours all together to finish it – hopefully, it doesn’t look that way.  But I don’t like it!  I really don’t like it!  I just want to roll it up in a corner and stuff it away.  I think many of us feel this way about our quilts at some point, and I’m hoping this is a temporary feeling – but there is just something wrong with the colours or design of the top that bother me. 

Now that I’m ready for binding I cannot find the piece of green border fabric that I am sure I put away….I don’t have any other large pieces of the other fabrics in the quilt…so I think I’ll have to use something all together different.  Yet another excuse to bury this quilt :)

Well I try out some binding fabrics, and finish it, and maybe hang it where I can’t see it too often….if I can’t easily find a binding fabric, well its going away somewhere!

1 comment:

pwl said...

I think it looks very pretty - but I do understand not wanting to look at something and not liking it for some reason. Maybe it does need to be put out of sight for a while and then brought back out for another viewing - maybe then you'll know what it is that bothers you about it. If not - well - it would make a lovely gift for someone. :)



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.