Sunday, February 1, 2009

getting off track….

I had been doing so well in finishing up some UFOs and turning them in to tops.  The red and white mini quilt, done.  The stars and nine patch, done.  Then I attacked – there is no other word for it – a quilt I’m calling baskets and stars strippy.  Here’s a picture of what it was like a few months ago, well this past summer:

strippy stars and baskets

I had started this quilt for my Mom, then decided not to put the applique vines in the centre bars.  While I was thinking this would be her Christmas present, I put it away to work on some other projects.  Then my Mom decided she wanted my prize winning quilt from fair – At Home and Away.  The last four or five months has been a frustrating experience with my Mom as she keeps saying that At Home and Away is too narrow for her bed and she can’t keep it unless I “fix” it.  I tell her I can’t (or won’t) make it bigger, and I already have a quilt that was being made for her.  This conversation repeated itself over and over.  Now finally, I here from her that At Home and Away is in a bag, sitting in the trunk of her car (!) waiting for delivery to me. This could be another few weeks.  And I have finally convinced her, I think, to accept the strippy quilt as her birthday gift.  Arrghh.

I spent several hours this week working on how to finish this quilt with the fabric I have left, to make it the specific size she has decided on.  I’ve added a wide border to all four sides, a small applique vine (the fusible appliques had been made months ago) on the bottom corners, and pieces cornerstone blocks.  All I have to do is sew down the appliques and then sew on the borders…but I’ve been putting it off, because…

I finally decided to cut up block bags for Lori Smith’s   30s Sampler  I had already had some fabric put away for this, and I ordered the remainder.   My fabrics aren’t exactly 30s, but they are somewhat pastel and traditional.  It arrived on Friday and I spent Friday and yesterday organizing colours and cutting.  Still not done!  Today I really should get back to the baskets and stars and have the top done.

No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.