Monday, January 26, 2009

UFO Madness

This weekend, and today, I attacked the two baskets of ufo’s – or they should be called USOs, unsewn objects.  One was a small quilt I had cut out I don’t know how long ago, and everytime I saw the basket of pieces I couldn’t understand what I was thinking when I chose the pieces.  peppermint twistThey looked very odd in their basket.  When I put the blocks (small pieces, blocks finished at 3”) and the quilt together, I was so surprised and happy at the result – I think this will be one of my favourite little quilts.  The pattern is called “Pepperment Twist” from Fat Quarter Small Quilts by Darlene Zimmerman.

 

Next up was a basket of pieces from a quilt I was going to do called ``Colourful Thoughts`¨ by Peggy Waltman.  I had cut up scolourful thoughts blue and greenome the fabrics for the blue and green blocks, then the remaining fabric got stolen for another quilt – the Stars and Nine Patch that I posted about last week.  This left me with sixteen chain blocks that I will turn into a quilt someday.  I`m thinking of using some of my wonderful embroidery designs and setting these blocks with alternate redwork embroidered blocks.

 

tisket tasket block oneAnd, I made a decision on the A Tisket a Tasket block of the month by Anne Sutton at Bunny Hill Designs.  I`m going to use the leftover bits from the Garden Patch quilt that would likely never get finished as a result of losing those blocks.  I`m hoping that at the end of the series, I will be able to put the applique blocks together with the Garden Patch blocks that I do have.

Why have I been so busy?  Well, its darn cold outside!  Too cold for me, and I`ve been stuck indoors for the past couple of weeks – really, I haven`t left the house.  I`ve had lots of rest and I decided to put it to good use.

The other reason is thisstars and nine patch scrap box of scraps leftover from the Stars and Nine Patch.  This top needs a border – and I need to go through this pile and see what range of fabrics I have left and in what sizes.  Then I can decide how much effort I want to put into a border…I`m also thinking of hanging on to these scraps for a someday applique project.

No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.