Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why I like...Quilt Block of the Month

I really enjoy subscribing to a mail-order quilt block of the month. There are many advantages, to me, and very few disadvantages - *if* you subscribe through a quilt shop that you know yourself, or have a recommendation from. The two quilt shops I have used so far have been extremely good with their blocks of the month; but, I have heard horror stories from some quilters about fabric shortages, lack of directions, fabric selections, and timely mailings.


Why I do like a block of the month?
- no puzzling over what fabrics to use
- sometimes the pattern is currently only available as a block of the month
- a little surprise each month to look forward to
- you don't have to store all the fabrics, and you don't have to worry about running short, when you need more border fabric a year after starting the quilt top
- if you don't like a fabric, you can substitute your own to put your own spin on the project
- each block or monthly mailing doesn't take long to make, as the fabric is cut into usable pieces, and you are just making what is in front of you - again, just those directions, just those fabrics - no decisions necessary! - just fun creating and sewing
- an easy to pay for way to make a quilt over a long period of time - after all, the quilt shop is choosing the fabrics, cutting them, sorting, and including directions - all you need to add is backing and batting - the costs may add up, but if you do only one or two of these a year the costs are worth it to me



What can be not-so-good about a block of the month?
- no puzzling over what fabrics to use - sometimes that *is* the best part of making a quilt - just planning it, even if you never sew it
- each block or monthly mailing includes fabric cut into usable pieces - what if I make a mistake and use up all the piece the wrong way? - I could include my own fabric, which I often do anyway, but the quilt shop will likely have another piece available
- your finished quilt will likely look like many many others out there - this has to be one of those quilts that you can't "make your own", too much - although you might be surprised at just how much fiddling you can do along the way!
-knowing that you have to continue paying for the quilt for a number of months


I have subscribed to two blocks of the month at Homestead Hearth. One is Jan Patek's girl gang 2008. This one is because the pattern for her Girl Gang quilts are usually only available as a b.o.m. , I like the interesting layout, and the design is not something I would usually do.


I'll have pics soon I hope of the first block, as soon as my camera is working or replaced.

No comments:



Add a comment!

Thanks for visiting - any comments, critiques, greetings? Click on "comments" below each post.

About Me

My photo
southern Ontario, Canada
I began quilt-making in January 2001, as therapy following diagnosis a chronic autoimmune condition. I enjoy creating and exploring hand and machine applique, machine piecing, english paper piecing, machine quilting, and machine embroidery. I have been working with Electric Quilt for several years and I'm comfortable with just about very aspect of using EQ to design pieced, applique, and embroidery quilts. I'm an early retired Mom with two teenager and a son who'll be married in Fall '09. My husband is my biggest quilting supporter.

Search This Blog

Bunny Hill Designs

Bunny Hill Designs
A Tisket a Tasket b.o.m.

Willowberry Designs

Willowberry Designs
verandah views b.o.m.
Quilting Bloggers Logo
Quilting Stash Podcast Banner

works in progress

  • pushin' up spring b.o.m.
  • garden at dusk
  • hop to it - my garden album (blue & white)
  • baskets
  • checkers
  • strip mine
  • prairie vine - needs applique border
  • p3 designs - online b.o.m.
  • a tisket a tasket - online b.o.m.